I’d like to tell you that 36 years ago, while filling out my application to be a foreign exchange student, I checked the “no preference” location box because I had a keen sense of adventure. But, I have to admit, what I really had was a serious case of low self esteem – maybe if I wasn’t that picky about the location, I might have a chance to be accepted. And accepted I was. I usually walked home (remember folks, this was the olden days), but as I emerged from the school building that Spring day in 1975, there was my mom in the station wagon, waving a white envelope at me. I jumped in, tore open the envelope, and read the contents aloud … “Sri Lanka??” We hurried home to look it up in the encyclopedia.
Thus began my wonderful adventure.
But don’t worry about this turning into a lengthy post – it was 36 years ago and I can’t recall it all. Oh, there were trips to see the gorgeous countryside, tea plantations, Buddhist temples, and other amazing sights. And there was my school, where the rest of the girls gathered ‘round me at recess and had me sing songs from American musicals. But the most vivid memory, the most lasting memory, the most treasured memory is of the family that welcomed me with open arms and treated me to the experience of a lifetime.
And now, I am thrilled beyond words to be sharing that family with my own family. As Lauren leaves her semester in Hyderabad, she will fly to Sri Lanka and be greeted by the de Silvas. And I will arrive from Dallas a few days later. And based on the emails, facebook posts, and phone calls, I have no doubt that the years will melt away and we will all be family again.
Special thanks to my brother, Dulip, whose random web search uncovered me about 10 years ago and whose encouragement earlier this year got me to commit to the trip. And to my sisters – Ramani, Deepthi, and Deemi – who are busily working on the details of our visit. I am hopeful that brother, Rajpal, will also join us. And I am especially looking forward to a long visit with Amma – still going strong at 87 years old. Deemi says they just told Amma about the visit last week, since they were pretty sure that would be all she talked about until we arrive. And, so far, they are right.
I’ve often said that international travel makes the world a smaller place. But it’s not just the travel itself, it’s the connection you make with those you meet. And sharing that connection with my beloved Lauren is making my heart very very full. I can hardly wait the two weeks until the trip, and once it’s here, I’m sure that our time in Sri Lanka will be too short. Nevertheless, I plan on cherishing every minute of it.
Thus began my wonderful adventure.
But don’t worry about this turning into a lengthy post – it was 36 years ago and I can’t recall it all. Oh, there were trips to see the gorgeous countryside, tea plantations, Buddhist temples, and other amazing sights. And there was my school, where the rest of the girls gathered ‘round me at recess and had me sing songs from American musicals. But the most vivid memory, the most lasting memory, the most treasured memory is of the family that welcomed me with open arms and treated me to the experience of a lifetime.
And now, I am thrilled beyond words to be sharing that family with my own family. As Lauren leaves her semester in Hyderabad, she will fly to Sri Lanka and be greeted by the de Silvas. And I will arrive from Dallas a few days later. And based on the emails, facebook posts, and phone calls, I have no doubt that the years will melt away and we will all be family again.
Special thanks to my brother, Dulip, whose random web search uncovered me about 10 years ago and whose encouragement earlier this year got me to commit to the trip. And to my sisters – Ramani, Deepthi, and Deemi – who are busily working on the details of our visit. I am hopeful that brother, Rajpal, will also join us. And I am especially looking forward to a long visit with Amma – still going strong at 87 years old. Deemi says they just told Amma about the visit last week, since they were pretty sure that would be all she talked about until we arrive. And, so far, they are right.
I’ve often said that international travel makes the world a smaller place. But it’s not just the travel itself, it’s the connection you make with those you meet. And sharing that connection with my beloved Lauren is making my heart very very full. I can hardly wait the two weeks until the trip, and once it’s here, I’m sure that our time in Sri Lanka will be too short. Nevertheless, I plan on cherishing every minute of it.
![]() |
| Amma in the kitchen |
![]() |
| Thatha in his law office |
![]() |
| Can you spot me in the school parade?? |
![]() |
| Deemi giving me "the look" |
Love, Beth




No comments:
Post a Comment